1. SudokuSolving puzzles is a great way to keep a senior’s mind active and reinforce cognitive skills. Sudoku is a popular puzzle that can be easily obtained for free off the Internet. It is useful for helping seniors to develop and maintain logical thinking skills.
2. Crossword puzzlesThese can also be easily obtained off the Internet. It is great for improving general knowledge and memory.
3. Electronic game consolesElectronic game consoles provide an endless list of brain games that seniors can play in order to experience positive effect on mental capabilities such as memory and reaction time. Consoles such as Wii and Kinect are especially useful for helping seniors to get some exercise.
4. Guessing GamesMany different forms of guessing games can be played. Oneway is to place items in a paper bag for identification by touch. This reinforces tactile and memory skills. Alternatively, visual memory can be enhanced by showing players pictures of famous places and/or people for identification. Another way of playing guessing games is to play recordings of sounds such as musical instruments or animals for players to identify. This stimulates auditory memory.
5. CharadesCharades is a well-known game that is great for allowing individuals to socialize, as well as stay active. Additionally, few supplies are needed and it can be played almost anywhere.
6. PictionaryNot unlike charades, Pictionary is a great way for seniors to socialize, especially if they face problems in mobility and are unable to play charades.
7. Arts and CraftsDoing arts and crafts is a great way to pass the time and to reinforce creativity and cognitive function at the same time. There is also a wide variety of options to choose from so that seniors will not get bored.
Knitting allows seniors to exercise their joints and at the same time create something useful, such as a jumper.
Crochet, much like knitting, allows seniors to make something practical that they can use on a daily basis. Alternatively, they can create something for aesthetic decoration, to brighten up their homes. Crochet projects also make good gifts!